Sunday, December 12, 2010

Take life as it comes…..





















“I wanted to become a journalist” that was my answer when my dad’s friend asked me about what do you want to become, after tenth results. {(Yes I feel that fire inside me... getting lost fully in letters! enjoying the busy schedules in the desks!! working with no time bound.. was something that fascinates me.. besides enjoying the satisfaction and privilege of being a part of Fourth Estate) yeah I realized the business mask of media behind its service attitude and even though I am ware that it is nothing but the business only.. something is there that attracts me to it like a iron rod to the magnet} … But I took biology as main in plus two. . At that time I wanted to do UG in chemistry and wanted to do something on that stream itself, for the two years of SKP life had changed my attitude that much. But I am destined to do something else..   So after that, I took literature, which I never wanted, or in fact forced to do due to some reasons…I never know where life could have taken me at that time.  I still believe that was the worst time in life I have ever come across, so far.

After that three years.. What was next would be a big question before me.. Again that journalism wish has budding inside me.. So I decided to go for that. Everybody in my family opposed to it, except my dad and brother (my mom also was on the opposition side, telling that kind of risky jobs are not good for girls). I am really blessed to have such a family who have given me damn support and strength in situations, where everyone wants their children to be doctors and engineers.. They give more priority to my wish... That should be  something appreciated, I guess. I wrote only two exams- one for Mascom and the next for Amrita. I got selected in Amrita and yeah…fortunately or unfortunately we were the first batch of “ASCOM”. And those two years taught me a lot….both academically or not.

I was the only student who chooses Print as main in the beginning and I still remember how stern I was on my decision, even though our mam had shown a bit hesitation to start class with only one student from PG, other than the PGDJ students. She tried to make me understand the difficulties that I need to face in the second year. But still I was firm on my decision.. Coz I have that much passion towards it. I started to write about the subject I feel like and some of them were strike out in the rough draft itself...  I remember how excitingly and passionately I did the development story on Kalpathy Heritage Village and an investigative story on the accidents. But again fate has reserved something else for me and I ended up in an entirely different field of Advertising. Even though it was not my passion (yeah I know I am not that much creative too), I was able to fulfill responsibilities that was trusted up on my shoulders, against all my expectations.  I need to say adieu to that job after 6 months for some other reasons (but by that time I started to love what I used to do).

Now again in a different domain - content writing (yeah all are connected indirectly).. Yeah here I can write something...Some time can be able to give voice to my feelings too. And after getting in to this job only, I started blogging (yeah it gives a kind of relaxation and freedom to express what I feel or in fact I am satisfying myself for which I could not do)

This is not my case only.. I know… there are many, who are doing something else, keeping aside their passion and feelings in one corner of their mind, coz of so many reasons. Here job satisfaction has thrown in to dustbin and we are trying to put the label of “being practical” on it (yeah we all are work for money . So we are trying to satisfy our brain , not mind..So most of the people including me, trying to love what I am doing rather than  what I love to do)  I have a friend who started to study Journalism from her plus two onwards.. coz of the passion. (In her own words “journalism is there in her blood”) But now she is working in an entirely different world… but yeah I know that she still keeps that  fire and  love inside her mind..

As somebody said... Life is like that only.. It always surprises you! Some dreams will be fulfilled.. Some may slip through the fingers…knowingly or unknowingly..At times it reserves unexpected happiness for you by gifting you something which you never long for ever. What I learnt so far is__it is better to take the life as it comes… So there won’t be any regrets at the end of the day.


5 comments:

Uthara Nair said...

you are right in pointing money does bring a great change in the underlying values if life. best example, the recent tide of events in politics, scam and role of journos. my frnd was working with 5k salary with a reputed malayalam TV news channel for about 7 months afterwards she realized its not passion for a job alone that works fine in the world, but money.. in fact, if we are paid well, we ll start to love the job slowly.. bitter to accept, but becomes routine once you come to terms with reality. after all, most of us indians hail from middle class family.

Sajith said...

I think job satisfaction is also important.If you start loving u r job no matter what you learned/studied!

Unknown said...

what to say Priya....u r absolutely right...even me follows the destiny...men proposes, god disposes....very nice one..keep the spirit...make proof reading for at least some more times so that some of the typing errors can be avoided..love it...keep on writing...

Uthara Nair said...

common people like me cant sit back and enjoy a lowly paid job. i would rather find ths boring job with great pay packet more intersting, unless i m a Barkha Dutt or N Ram.

Priya A Nair said...

@ uthara.. wt u said is ri8 dear. wt i feel is u dnt need to be Barkha or N Ram for that, wt u need is the passion only. if you love what u are doing, i am sure you can give the best and who said that Barkha or N Ram is the last word of journalism. we can also be another legend but u must have that much dedication and mind for that.

But we are now in a living in a corporate world where we try to love our job .. for we are practical and doing wt our brain said ....